Here is the ninth edition of your Ward 4 Action Update. Armistice Day (aka Veterans Day) has already come and gone, the snow is already here, and Thanksgiving arrives next week.
Top priority? It's almost time to vote again! Ward 4 has a special election for State Board of Education coming up on December 4th. Important information regarding absentee voting, polling locations, and more are available on the Board of Elections website now.
We have four candidates on the ballot: Rhonda Henderson, Elani Lawrence, Frazier O'Leary, and Ryan Tauriainen. I'll be including any campaign events that are on my radar for each in the usual events section below.
The Ward 4 Democrats are hosting an information forum for the SBOE race on Tuesday, November 27th. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The forum will start at 7:00 p.m. We are taking questions from the community, and we've only received a couple so far. Email yours to me at email@example.com. Deadline to submit questions is 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, November 20.
DC Democratic State Committee Updates
The next DC Democratic State Committee meeting is today, Thursday, November 15. The biggest agenda item? We're electing 12 Add-On Members. I explain what Add-Ons are here. You can see the full list of candidates and bios here. Let me know who you think deserves support on my Facebook page. As always, I'll post a report from the meeting on ward4brogan.com.
By the end of 2018, the State Committee's new leadership will have had time to re-establish the basic functions abandoned under previous administrations. A financial audit is already underway. Improvements are being made to the DC Democratic Party website. Add-Ons will be the final group elected to the Committee tonight, and then committee co-chairs will be selected.
By January of 2019, it's my hope that we'll have a firm foundation on which to begin deliberating the political problems facing the party.
In the meantime, I've been working to learn from what Ward 4 voters had to say with their decisions at the polls earlier this month. I've completed two parts of my three part series, "Ward 4 By the Numbers." For part one, I took a deep dive into voter turnout in the Ward. For part two, I looked closely at the ANC results in Ward 4. For part three, I'll be looking at how Ward 4 voters reacted to citywide candidates. Keep an eye out for that.
I've also been keeping a watchful eye on what's moving through the Wilson Building:
Lastly, I also had a great conversation about Ward 4 schools at my last Committeeman office hours. Keep a look out for the next one coming up in the near year!
Taking Action and Building Community
Now, the good stuff. Here's what our neighbors are doing to take action and build community over the next two weeks. This weekend is VERY busy:
- Thursday, November 15: DCDSC has its November meeting, where it will elect Add-On members. More info.
- Friday, November 16: ACLU-DC, Black Lives Matter DC, and the Stop Police Terror Project are asking supporters to help them pack the courtroom tomorrow. They are suing the Bowser administration and MPD for delaying implementation of the NEAR Act. More info.
- Friday, November 16: The DC State Health and Planning Agency (SHPDA) is holding a meeting on the proposed closure of Providence Hospital. DC Jobs with Justice and other supporters of maintaining care at Providence are asking supporters to attend and help them #SaveProvidence. More info.
- Saturday, November 17: The campaign to elect Frazier O'Leary as Ward 4's SBOE member is hosting a meet and greet at The Pitch Tavern in Petworth. More info.
- Saturday, November 17: ANC 4C09 commissioner Tearsa Coates is hosting an informational meet and greet for SBOE candidate Elani Lawrence from 2:30-4:00 p.m. To RSVP, text Commissioner Coates at 610-637-8260.
- Saturday, November 17: ANC 4C09 commissioner Tearsa Coates is hosting another informational meet and greet, this time for SBOE candidate Rhonda Henderson from 5:00-6:30 p.m. To RSVP, text Commissioner Coates at 610-637-8260.
- Saturday, November 17: DC activists are joining their comrades in Arlington to speak out about the corporate giveaway that will bring half of Amazon's second headquarters to the region. More info.
- Saturday, November 17: DC DSA is organizing a Wage Theft Training and Canvassing session. Come out and show that, while the DC government isn't serious about wage theft, DC residents are! More info.
- Sunday, November 18: Eleanor Davis is hosting a meet and greet for SBOE candidate Elani Lawrence at Little Beast (5600 Connecticut Ave NW) in Chevy Chase. More info.
- Sunday, November 18: This month's Sherman Circle Social is hosted by Kennedy St NW. More info.
- Sunday, November 18: DC DSA is hosting a Stomp Out Slumlords Tenant Organizing Orientation. Come learn how you can organize your building or help others organize theirs! More info.
- Sunday, November 18: Jews United for Justice has its annual DC Community Meeting, where they'll begin selecting their campaigns for 2019. More info.
- Sunday, November 18: Manor Park Citizens Association has its November general body meeting. More info.
- Thursday, November 22: Thanksgiving!
- Thursday, November 22: Crestwood Citizens Association and the Rock Creek Conservancy are hosting the Crestwood Turkey Trot. Proceeds go to the helping keep Rock Creek Park beautiful. More info.
- Saturday, November 24: Didi Green's #NetworkHair is hosting a Shop Small Happy Hour for small business Saturday. More info.
- Tuesday, November 27: The Ward 4 Democrats are hosting their Ward 4 SBOE Forum. More info.
With love and solidarity,