HWard 4 Action Update
With love and solidarity,
Here is the eighth edition of your Ward 4 Action Update.
Top priority? Vote! Early voting in DC is open at centers across the city through 7:00 p.m. tomorrow (Friday). Haven't registered yet? You can do it right at the polling place. If you can't vote early, the general election is Tuesday, November 6th. Find your election day polling place by clicking here.
Still trying to make up your mind? I shared who I'm voting for (and why I think voting matters) in a post on ward4brogan.com last week.
DC Democratic State Committee Updates
New DCDSC leadership has taken big steps to restore basic administrative functions to the committee. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but there's reason for hope. Here are a few key things you should be aware of:
Taking Action and Building Community
- I live-tweeted the October DCDSC meeting. You can read the thread by clicking here. Most exciting news? We're doing a much-needed financial audit that should be complete early in 2019.
- Today is the deadline to apply to be an Add-On Member of the DC Democratic State committee. The election for Add-Ons is November 15. More info here.
- The next DCDSC meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 15. Location TBD. Check DCDemocraticParty.org for updates.
- For the first time in years, you can see a full and current list of DCDSC members with contact information on the party website! Check it out.
- For the first time ever, there is a list on the website of GOTV actions you can participate in to help flip Congress. Learn how you can volunteer here.
After the political violence of the last week and in the face of growing white supremacy and fascism, it's more important than ever that we build strong, justice-oriented communities. Click here to read my thoughts on the challenge we face and the organizations you can join right here in DC to help.
Now, here's a look at what some of those organizations are up to, as well as what our neighbors are doing here in Ward 4 to help each other out, in the next two weeks:
- Now thru Nov 6: Our most active Ward 4 GOTV group is NOPE! in Chevy Chase. Every day through the election, they've got a way for you to plug in and help elect Congressional Democrats in Virginia. More info.
- Thursday, November 1: The Democratic National Committee is hosting a phonebank at their headquarters. Sign up here.
- Thursday, November 1: No Justice No Pride is conducting a Trans Justice Volunteer Orientation. More info.
- Thursday, November 1: The AFL-CIO is hosting volunteers at their headquarters to phonebank in support of labor-endorsed candidates. More info.
- Thursday, November 1: Trans United Fund is hosting volunteers to phonebank TUF-supported candidates. More info.
- Friday, November 2: The campaign to #SaveProvidence hospital is packing the Wilson Building again for the next hearing on the hospital's future. More info.
- Friday, November 2: The Jews United for Justice Campaign Fund and their endorsed candidates are having a Bagels and Lox at the Ballot Box event for the last day of early voting in DC. More info.
- Friday, November 2: From 12:00-3:00 p.m., the Washington Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs is holding a Workers Rights Clinic at the ONE DC Black Workers and Wellness Center. Make an appointment to get free legal advice on employment issues by emailing email@example.com.
- Saturday, November 3: DistrictDems is coordinating canvassing trips to Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Virginia. Sign up here.
- Saturday, November 3: The League of Women Voters is hosting an interactive presentation called "DC Statehood: Fixing the Hole in Our Democracy" in Takoma. More info.
- Saturday, November 3: BYP100 is throwing their Halloween party fundraiser down at 14th and U. Go do some dancing and support young black activists. More info.
- Saturday, November 3: Join MDC DSA's amazing Stomp Out Slumlords campaign for their next business meeting, where they'll plan out their next few months of action. More info.
- Saturday, November 3: Neighbors on the 100 block of Varnum Street NW are hosting their 3rd Annual Block Party! More info.
- Sunday, November 4: The campaign to re-elect Councilmember Elissa Silverman is hosting phone and text banks at their headquarters from 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 4: Many Languages, One Voice and Sanctuary DMV have organized a Spanish-language immigration legal clinic (clinica legal de inmigracion). More info.
- Monday, November 5: Lamond-Riggs Citizens Association will host Ward 4 SBOE candidates (the special election is Dec. 4!) at their regular public meeting. Starts at 7:00 p.m. at the LaSalle-Backus Education Campus.
- Tuesday, November 6: GO VOTE!
- Wednesday, November 7: I'm hosting my next Committeeman office hours, this time on Kennedy Street! Come grab a bite with me, recover from the midterms, and let's talk about what comes next in Ward 4. More info.
- Thursday, November 8: Ward 4 Education Alliance is organizing a candidates forum at Powell for Ward 4 State Board of Education candidates. More info.
- Friday, November 9: Tifereth Israel Congregation is hosting a Shabbat Dinner and Post-Election Discussion. More info.
- Saturday, November 10: Neighbors on the 800 block of Delafield Place NW are organizing regular community cleanups. They'll meet at 11:00 a.m. every second Saturday.
- Saturday, November 10: If you're a DSA member, MDC DSA is organizing canvasses of retailers and restaurants to make sure workers know their rights under DC's wage theft law. Training and canvassing runs from 2:00-5:00 p.m. Email me if you want to link up with the organizers.
- Saturday, November 10: Sad to report that Simple Bar & Grill on Georgia Ave. will be throwing its farewell party, as changes in building ownership are forcing them out of business. More info.
- Wednesday, November 14: Manor Park Citizens Association has its "Fall into Good Times Happy Hour." More info.
- Wednesday, November 14: Come debrief the 2018 general election with DC for Democracy, which will be featuring UFCW 400's Dyana Forester and former Sierra Club Board Member Jeremiah Lowery. More info
Last, but not least, a change for your calendars: Ward 4 is electing its State Board of Education member in a special election on December 4th. The Ward 4 Democrats have moved their SBOE candidates forum, originally scheduled for November 20th, to November 27th. It will be held at the Kingsbury Center on 14th Street. Doors open at 6:30, and the forum starts at 7:00 p.m. I'll send a special email around closer to the date.