May 2020 Elections
Are you passionate about Haddenham? Can you put the local community at the heart of decision making? Then why not apply to be a Parish Councillor in the upcoming May 2020 local elections.
WHAT DOES A PARISH COUNCILLOR DO?
Parish Councillors work together to represent and serve the interests of the community. They are responsible for making decisions on the policies and projects the Council should take on and how best to spend Council funds.
Examples of some of the activities a Parish Councillor may be involved in include:
- Attending full Council and Committee meetings
- Representing the Council at meetings of local organisations
- Provision of services - street lights, benches, dog waste bins etc
- Planning – commenting on planning applications, supporting the neighbourhood plan
- Finance – budget setting, governance and accountability, risk assessment
- Fund raising and grant applications
- Special projects – e.g. new community facilities, parking, speed monitoring.
You will need to be available on Monday evenings as Parish Council and Committee meetings are held every third Monday. The public are welcome at Council meetings, so if you're interested to see how things work, feel free to come along. The next meeting of the Council is on Monday 9th March 2020.
To stand for election to a local council you must:
- Be a UK, EU or Commonwealth citizen
- Be 18 years old or over
- Be registered as a local government elector for the parish; or in the past 12 months occupied land or other premises in the Parish (as owner or tenant); or work in the Parish (as your principal or only place of work); or live within three miles of the Parish boundary.
For full details on eligibility, see the Electoral Commission's Guidance for Candidates
The Notice of Election will be published on 31 March 2020
. The period for nominations will then commence, and the deadline for nominations for the election will be 4pm on 8 April 2020
with the elections being held on 7 May 2020.
For more information on the elections, contact the Parish Council Office on 01844 292411.