Want less stress and less debt during the most wonderful time of the year? Consider saving up starting NOW; because before you can switch up your pumpkin spice latte for a peppermint one, the holidays will be here. But all that cheer can come with a hefty price tag when considering gifts (and wrappings!), decorations, meals out and travel. So now is the time to plan and prevent overspending. These five steps can help.
1. Set a budget. Financial coach Karen Ford advises making a list of gift recipients, then deciding how much you want to spend on each person. Add the list up and divide that sum by the number of weeks until your shopping begins. This number is how much you’ll need to put aside each week to meet your gift budget.
2. Start early. Its not only saving you should start now, but also shopping. If you wait til the last minute you may miss out on sales and specials for gift items.
3. Stash your cash. Put your holiday fund in a place where you’ll be less tempted to use it. Skip the jar and piggy bank; instead, financial educator Joseph Dillard recommends starting a separate savings account for your fund, like a Holiday Club.
4. Reduce spending. Trim your expenses to meet your savings goal. Examine your usual monthly budget and see what you can cut. Clip coupons, pack lunch from home and cancel any subscription services that you aren’t using. You can also scale back by changing your routine — skip the occasional night out, make your coffee at home and catch a matinee instead of an evening showing. It takes a bit of sacrifice, but your savings will add up as the weeks roll by.
5. Earn extra money. To bolster your holiday fund even further, supplement your income. Consider selling off extra clothes and toys at a summer yard sale, baby-sitting, pet-sitting or house-sitting for your friends. Maybe take on part-time, temporary holiday employment. You can also try selling your goods online or to local consignment shops.
Discuss these saving strategies with your family — they may help you develop your budget and suggest more creative ways to save. Instead of worrying about making ends meet, applying these smart saving habits will help your holidays be a more joyous and relaxing time.
Our second annual Designer Bag Bingo was held Friday, August 16th and it was even better than the first year! The near sell-out crowd was thrilled to take home a huge variety of designer purses just for the cost of admission. $25 for a Michael Kors bag? Oh yeah! The prize tables were fun too--turns out money DOES grow on trees (ha-ha) and so do lottery tickets, And the camaraderie and girl talk? Priceless.
THANK YOU to everyone who supported this great event.
Proceeds will be used to fund programs such as providing paper and personal hygiene items for our pantry, life coaching, SUCCESS workshops with childcare, food pantry transportation, and community events like Summer Jam, Gamer Dads Night, Ladies Spa Day and more. Save the date for next year and join us Friday, August 14, 2020!
New Topics, New Friends Await at New SUCCESS Classes
Our September SUCCESS Classes are OPEN for registration!
These FREE sessions can help you gain new skills! Childcare available if registered. Seating is Limited....must be pre-registered. Call or Email to reserve your seat. Below is a list of what's coming up this month. Click here to see the full class schedule and to register.
Wednesday, September 4, 2019 @ 5:30 pm
Detect Icebergs: Learn to identify and evaluate core beliefs and core values that fuel emotions and reactions.
Thursday, September 5, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Parent Support Group: This month's Topic: Positive Discipline Strategies
Tuesday, September 10, 2019@ 5:00 pm
Healthy Cents: Enjoy a food tasting and tips on how to eat healthy without going broke.
Wednesday, September 18, 2019 @ 5:30 pm
A New Take on the Old Resume: The job market can be tight and this session will help you update your resume to market yourself in the best light. Door Prizes to the 1st two registrants who sign in.
Thursday, September 19, 2019@ 5:30 pm
All About Alzheimer's: Get valuable information and advice on the latest research findings, early warning signs, treatment options, as well as early stage programs.
Saturday, September 21, 2019 @ 10:00 am
Money Games: Discover how our habits and attitudes about money affect how we spend and save.
Where to Get Food, Healthcare & Other Services for No or Low Cost
September 3, 10, 17, 24 - SUCCESS Pantry: Get groceries, cleaning supplies and health & hygiene items, 1-3 at HDGHA, 101 Stansbury Court, Havre de Grace
September 10- October 15 - Living Well: Diabetes Self-Management Class, Tuesdays 10:00 am - 12:30 pm. This FREE six week program is designed for people with Type 1, Type 2 or Pre-diabetes and teaches diabetes management, ways to maintain or increase activity level and how food can affect blood sugar. Call Healthlink at 800-515-0044 for more information and to register. Havre de Grace Library, 120 N Union Ave, Havre De Grace
September 13 - EPICENTER at Edgewood Health Fair and Food Giveaway, 2-5pm. Food distribution begins at 3. Free flu shots, vision screenings and more, 1918 Pulaski Highway in Edgewood
September 18 - Celebrate National Recovery Month at Medmark Treatment Center in Belcamp, 8am - noon with Food, Games, Door Prizes, Informational Booths, Baskets, Face Painting and Karaoke. For more information,call 410+273-970 ext 1872. 1361 Brass Mill Road, Ste A, Belcamp, MD
September 20 -Food Distribution, 5–7pm at the Tabernacle of Faith Family Life Center, 315A N. Earlton Road in Havre de Grace
September 21- Food Distribution 9 – 11:45am at Bel Air United Methodist Church in McComas Hall, 21 Linwood Avenue, Bel Air
September 27- Wage Connection Employment Expo, 9:00am - 1:30pm. Dress professionally, Bring resumes, computers available for online applications. FREE Men's and Women's Business clothes store. 975 Beards Hill Road, Aberdeen, MD
September 28 - Health Fair and Food Giveaway, 9 AM-12 PM at Mountain Christian Church, Abingdon. Get free health screenings, employment counseling, financial literacy, educational opportunities, mental health support, insurance programs, and more. 3465 Box Hill Corporate Center Drive in Abingdon
Healthy Harford/Healthy Cecil WATCH program WATCH is a team of community healthcare providers and social workers who visit residents in their home to help solve issues that might be keeping them from achieving their best health such as, transportation issues, difficulty taking medications correctly, safe housing, nutritious food, assistance with medical appointments and more, Services provided FREE of charge. More info at 1-800-515-0044.