Benefits of Empowering Local Artists
Lately, one of the most frequently asked questions in our city is, 'how do we preserve the unique and inclusive Keep Austin Weird culture that most of us grew up knowing?' As a community organization, how could we work together to preserve and celebrate the arts community as the city grows, and why should we care about musicians and artists?
This article, entitled "How Empowering Local Artists Can Benefit Your Whole Community," has many lessons we could learn from:
- Arts help foster a sense of place and instill civic pride.
- Public art encourages the community to rethink its use of space and become more involved in local decision-making.
- Public art that’s most likely to be embraced and appreciated over the long-term is art that’s embedded in the community, that originates from local artists.
- Creating designated spaces for artists brings together people in a space that symbolizes creativity, inclusiveness, and community.
- Art can bring life back to areas that have been disinvested, and can give neighborhoods a greater feel of ownership over the space.
- Art can be used as a driver of economic development.