Dear <<First Name>>,
Welcome to my latest e-newsletter
I loved visiting my old university Queen Mary, University of London to act as an adviser for National Citizens Service social action projects. It was wonderful to hear plans from local 16/17 year olds to make a difference.
It was a great reminder of the energy and verve in the borough, and the appetite to build community in the face of the forces of conservatism.
You will have got my email about the Strategic Development Committee's decision to permit the building of the 30 storey building next to Westferry DLR, but there will be other opportunities to make our voices heard against it and wring as much value out of it for the local area.
- I attended the Safer Neighbourhood Team Ward Panel last week to discuss with residents and the police about tackling crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB). Crime and ASB is falling comapred to last year, but please let me know what your concerns are.
- I met with Cllr Kyrsten Perry (the Mayor's Adviser for Cycling), council officers and residents to discuss cycling through Ropemakers Fields. Council officers are now looking into measures to improve this. We also identified traffic issues outside Cyril Jackson primary school.
- Malting and Brewster Houses, remains a pain in the neck and I am looking to get a definitive update on works. I am continuing to pass individual issues from residents on to THH.
- The ASB hotspot at the bottom of Three Colt Street opposite Dundee Wharf has been blocked off after a successful court order. Residents tell me this has improved the situation, but I will be keeping an eye on it.
- I worked with residents against proposals for additional mooring pontoons in Limehouse Basin at the council's development committee. The committee has deferred its decision while it makes a site visit.
- I have visited many organisations in and around the ward about various issues. These include Tower Hamlets Community Transport, St. Anne's Church, Limehouse Town Hall, The Half Moon Theatre, Dunbar Wharf Management Management Company, Tower Hamlets Chinese Association (pictured below), Streets of Growth and the Royal Foundation of St Katharine.
In the Town Hall and around the borough
- Overview & Scrutiny - With several 'call-ins' this month we have looked at the closure of Local Authority Day Nurseries (again), the Community Equipment Service, Educational Aspiration, Youth Employment and Youth Services.
As ever please feel free to get in touch or come to my surgery, which takes place every Saturday from 12.30pm - 1.30pm at Limehouse Youth Hub. I won't be holding a surgery on 29th December.
- Limehouse Community Forum AGM - Tuesday December 11th at Barley Mow Estate TRA Hall from 7.30pm
Labour Councillor for Limehouse
P.S. I want as many people in Limehouse to know how I’m working for them. Please pass this email on to your friends and neighbours and encourage them to sign up for future updates.