Below you will find the most recent report from the International Korczak Association (IKA).
For those of you who are not familiar with that organization, here is some information:
The last meeting of the IKA took place in Tel Aviv, Israel in November 2019. During that meeting, Marek Michalak from Poland was voted in as the chairperson of the IKA, Michal Kozien from Poland was voted in as the secretary and 12 board members were voted in, among them Mariola Strahlberg from the USA. The chairperson, secretary and board members will serve until the IKA Board Meeting in 2024. There are currently 26 Korczak Associations worldwide and interest in Korczak's work is growing.
April 30th, 2021
Dear IKA (International Korczak Association) Members,
I hope our message finds you well. Despite the pandemic many activities are taking place. You will find descriptions of some of them below.
Marek Michalak and Michał Kozień
Content of this e-mail:
1. Information about a Korczak conference in the US (including access to the recordings)
2. News from the Korczak Education Center in Israel
3. Invitation for a conference in Kazan, Russia, from Roza Valeeva and Irina Demakova
4. News about CRIA 2021
1. We got an interesting message from our Friends in the USA:
In March 2021, Janusz Korczak Association of the USA together with the Drew University’s Center for Holocaust/Genocide Study co-sponsored a three-part study seminar entitled "Children's Rights in Our Time: The Legacy of Janusz Korczak." A welcome address was given by Joyce Reilly, Vice President of the Janusz Korczak Association of the USA. The entire seminar was dedicated to the memory of Irving Roth who, after experiencing concentration camps during WWII, dedicated his life to spreading a message of unity and compassion and created a beautiful Korczak Center at Temple Judea in Manhassett, Long Island, New York. Here is Irving speaking about his hero, Janusz Korczak:
Many of you were able to attend the seminar and many others asked for access to its recordings. Below you will find the links to the three recordings.
- Seminar 2: March 11th, 2021
Janusz Korczak's Life and Legacy for Educators Today
Mariola Stahlberg, founder of the not-for-profit Shining Mountain Center for Peaceful Childhood and Korczak USA, began this seminar by talking about Janusz Korczak's childhood, his career as a writer, pediatrician, educator, and his advocacy for children's rights. She was followed by Sara Efrat Efron, Professor Emerita at National Louis University, who discussed how to support children in times of crisis by teaching them responsibility for self, others, and communities at large.
Access Passcode: M^KV37hM
- Seminar 3: March 18th, 2021
Teaching Today through Children's Rights and Korczak's Inspiration
Ira Pataki, a former lawyer who has shifted to a career in education, examined the children's republic in the classroom today. The Youth Court and its emphasis on the concept of restorative justice offers an ideal way to promote individual responsibility and constructive group interaction to promote change and empower our students as stakeholders in the school community. The SKY (Sharpsville Korczak Youth) Court arose as an organic hybrid of Korczak's progressive vision and the concept of restorative justice.
Access Passcode: ptm.08xp
2. Batia, Avi and Amichai send a report about their Korczak Education Center.
A lot is going on! Click here to download a copy of their report.
3. Roza Valeeva and Irina Demakova’s message about the conference:
Dear Korczakians worldwide!
Janusz Korczak Society in Russia was founded in 1991. In 2021 we celebrate our 30th anniversary. Special session devoted to this event will be organized during the 7th International Forum on Teacher Education which will be held in Kazan federal university on 26-28 May, 2021. We invite you to participate in this event on-line on 27th of May at 11.30-13.30 (Moscow time). Please register on the site of the Forum as a virtual listener using this link: https://event.kpfu.ru/eng/event/6531/ as soon as possible. Later you will get a password to Microsoft Teams platform our university is working on. Please let me know when you register. The event is organized in a mixed format. Some participants will come to Kazan in person. Some will join us online. I do hope that I will be able to greet you too. This time - online.
Roza Valeeva and Irina Demakova
4. CRIA 2021
We also know that Children Rights In Action 2021 (CRIA) is being prepared! This year’s forum will be held online. We will send you more details soon.
Two important dates:
- 12-19th of June 2021: CRIA Forum "Children Beyond Gender" will take place online this year. Through educational activities, participants will acquire more knowledge about gender discrimination and come up with solutions to the problems Girl Children are facing. These activities include time in plenary session, in which experts will exchange with participants about the theme of the forum, smaller discussion groups, workshops to learn a specific skill or a topic, along with playful and bonding moments. They are designed by a group of people and organizations, coming from various backgrounds throughout Asia, and in collaboration with children. (See schedule below)If you want to pre-register for the Forum: