Paid Parking Resumes - What You Need to Know
Starting March 1st, 2021 paid parking is returning to Downtown Flagstaff and we want you to be prepared! Some things will remain the same, and several enhancements have been made to the program, based on feedback from residents, visitors and the business community. You asked and we listened!
Why start paid parking now?
Parking has been a difficult issue facing our community for over 50 years! Businesses, employees, residents and customers have grown exponentially, however downtown parking supply has not increased - at all. Increasing parking supply AND managing the limited supply are identified as critical to a continued vibrant and economically viable business community. ParkFlag has been designed to deliver on both.
In recent months, parking availability in the core business district has again become limited. Parking counts conducted by Parking Aides have shown occupancy levels of 70 - 90% most days. With free parking and lack of enforcement, long-term parking patterns have returned to spaces intended for customer parking. With the implementation of ParkFlag, we will have in place:
- Better management of our existing - and limited - parking supply
- A dedicated funding source to acquire or build additional parking
- A comprehensive approach addressing parking for residents, employees, business owners, customers and visitors
- FREE EcoPasses for employees and additional bike racks as multi-modal options
What has been improved?
1. Hours have been reduced and simplified to:
Sunday - Thursday - 9am - 5pm
Friday - Saturday - 9am - 8pm
Hours are based on 2 years of user data and when parking is in most demand; and now encourages patrons to grab a quick bite or coffee in the morning, and enjoy happy hour, dinner and shopping after 5pm.
2. FREE 20-minute curbside pick-up zones will remain in place!
Curbside pick-up zones will stay for added convenience and to support quick stops at businesses. These spaces support all businesses, and are not specific to individual businesses.
3. Additional locations for FREE parking
- City and County lots are free after 5pm and on weekends
- 2 hour free parking on Route 66
- Park for free anytime outside of the ParkFlag district (i.e., north of Cherry, West of Humphreys, cross streets on the Southside).
4. More cash payment options!
Additional kiosks that accept cash have been added, check the Downtown Flagstaff Parking Guide for exact locations.
5. Employee permits have been reduced!
Employee permits are now $10 a month, and additional block faces have been added for employee parking. ParkFlag also offers FREE Mountain Line EcoPasses for employees.
What are the benefits and what does parking pay for?
Parking revenues are re-invested into Downtown Flagstaff to pay for:
What remains the same?
- Parking is $1 an hour.
- Know your license plate number! Snap a photo of your plate before paying at the kiosks.
- Touchless payment options are available through the Flowbird App
• Parking operations and maintenance
• Future parking supply
• Downtown employee ECO passes
In addition, there are many other benefits to paid parking downtown such as:
• Manages limited parking supply so convenient parking remains available for customers
• Promotes safe parking practices
Download the new Downtown Flagstaff Parking Guide to make your parking experience easy and convenient - HERE.