COMMERCIAL ENERGY CODE ADVOCACY
July is the time to advocate for a stronger commercial energy code!
You can provide public comment in person, or by calling in, at the State Building Code Council (SBCC) public hearing on Friday, July 12 in Olympia. Meeting agenda and details can be found here
Learn about the major proposals at stake in this advocacy overview
. The Shift Zero Roadmap to ZNE Code Task Force will provide talking points and carpooling to Olympia to support public comment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
It is critical for the SBCC to hear from the public during this time, in particular:
- Practitioners (e.g., architects, engineers, developers) who can speak to the viability and cost-effectiveness of these changes, as well as client demand for more efficient buildings.
- Advocates who can speak to the broader context of why energy codes are an important part of reducing carbon emissions, keeping utility costs low, helping ensure the health of building occupants, and maximizing the use of Washington’s clean electricity resources.
How to advocate on the commercial energy code:
- In-Person or by calling in on July 12 in Olympia, 10am-2pm
- Plan approximately two minutes of comment
- Call-in comments are possible. Webex info here.
- Written Comment through July 25
- Submit now through July 25 to email@example.com
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend/call in on July 12 or will submit written comment so we can track efforts, thank you!
Note that public hearings for the Residential Energy Code will be held in September, and we will keep you updated on those opportunities ahead.