Art Bruner 360.598.5776 Appointed
Ray Frederick 360.692.2287 Elected 2022
Oscar Hyman 360.394.3892 Elected 2020
Karen Fox 360.850.3094 Appointed
Marlene Keltner 904.557.8377 Appointed
Ron Kirkland 360.373.2088 Elected 2021
Jerry Tomeo 360.509.9404 Appointed
Andrew Wright 360.801.3721 Appointed
General Meeting: The meeting will be held by Zoom Virtual video at 7pm Wednesday 10 March
This will be an expanded format of a Board Meeting/General all Poggies should attend if capable. Have a question you would like on the agenda then submit as a reply to this email or directly to Norm by phone or email.
Salmon In The Classroom: Chair: Poggie Louie Morton No News from South Kitsap, there is a teacher from CK that is wanting to have Louie do a zoom meeting on the presentation. Hope to be back in the class room this fall.
Vac Program should be up and running by this fall and we hope schools are open at that time and the salmon in the classroom program is up and running again.
2. Blackmouth season closed - sub-legals State closed area 10 due to too many small fish being caught. There may not be a winter black mouth season next year. The forecast methods are changing again, Canada has new information that will adversely affect the season. Next year ideas to have a season: larger plugs for fishing maybe change or delay the season.
News on the Elections:
Andrew Wright has been nominated for Vice President
Troy Hatler has been nominated for a Board Position.
From the Chief Poggie,
A few words about our Club. Looking forward, things are getting better. By the end of summer we all may be able to see each other again and once again be active Poggies. But for now, we are still hunkered down and waiting for our turn in the vaccination line.
As you read you will see we are in the election process. We still have no nominations for President or Vice President. Time is short, so if you know of someone willing to serve our Club in either of those positions please contact a club officer or board member, or by reply to the newsletter email.
The salmon season process, North Of Falcon, for 2021 is just starting. I have already been to a couple of virtual meetings. It is much too early to know just how many salmon we can anticipate harvesting but I'm not looking for any increase in salmon abundance. Most of what was discussed was getting our seasons reopened, especially the winter blackmouth. What will it take to open all of our areas? Shorter seasons later in the year or possibly gear restrictions to slow the hooking of smaller fish or maybe a reduced size limit? We will see as the NOF process moves forward.
For now, your board and elected folks hope you all are well and sharpening hooks.
Chief Poggie Norm
The Club dues is being reduced to $10 for the 2021 year. The board moved to reduce our dues because of our reduced activities. Despite the Covid crisis the Poggie Club is financially solvent and stable for now. However, we still have costs associated with our Club like insurance and webpage fees that we need to cover and we need to look to the future when we will once again be able to have our many activities. With this in mind, the board felt it prudent to reduce dues for this year.
As we have let you know in prior newsletters, we are having an election this year. So the BIG question is how are we going to do this with no in-person meetings and a virus that just won't go away?
Well, your board has been discussing this since November and here is the procedure we will be using.
1. The election will mirror our past elections with nominations starting with the January meeting and ending with the March meeting. All nominations will be final as of 9 PM of March 10, 2021. Nominees now have the option of withdrawing their names from a nomination whenever they want. This is a departure from past practice. Just let a board member know you don't want to be on the ballot and your name will be withdrawn.
2. Once nominations are closed, a ballot will be generated and mailed to each family in good club standing that we have on record. One ballot will be mailed to you by 22 March, 2021. If you need more than one ballot for other family members please make a copy of the ballot so they can also vote. If you do not have access to a copier, please contact the Poggie Club via email for additional ballots. Return all ballots via USPS to the Kitsap Poggie Club to be post marked no later than 09 April 2021. Election results will be posted in the April newsletter.
3. Every member in good club standing has the right to vote. A member in good club standing is defined as a member/family who has paid their club dues for the calendar year of 2020. If you don't remember if you paid your dues please contact our treasurer, Louie Morton.
4. Please remember that we have a family membership which means every family member living at the family address has the right to vote, including children 15-18 years old.
5. If you have moved and your address has changed please email that change of address to the club via the web page or the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact me or the treasurer directly via the phone numbers listed in the newsletter.
Salmon in the Classroom SITC:
Poggie Louie has been working with the high school to keep their program working virtually. Our facebook site has the link to see the salmon virtually. The February 1 issue of the SUN has an article on the SITC program of Central Kitsap school district . Their program is similiar to the ones we support and is supported by other fine community organizations. i would encourage you to read the SUN article.