Conservation Tip from the Environmental and Forestry Commission
Reducing food waste has been ranked as the #3 solution (on a list of the top 100) to reduce greenhouse emissions and actually reverse climate change. Composting food waste is #60 on that list. Working to reduce food waste, diverting all food waste from the landfill, and composting what is left has a significant impact on your carbon footprint.
To avoid creating food waste, follow these tips:
- Take what you will eat and eat what you take.
- Plan a menu and make a list so you buy what you need at the store.
- Do not purchase more food than you can eat before it spoils.
- Check what food you already have before you go grocery shopping.
- Get creative and make meals with what you already have.
- Label leftovers with the date when you store them in the fridge.