Afghan Refugee Relief Update:
Afghan evacuees in the USA are continuing to struggle. They face uncertainty in all areas of basic needs: food, long-term housing, medical care, employment, and education. To date, more than 500 Afghans have arrived in Austin and 200 more are expected to arrive this year.
Our team is working hard to help with the Afghan resettlement efforts. Our focus has been two-fold the past few months:
To identify and support families with new and expectant mothers. Many expectant mothers have not been seen by medical professionals even in their late stages of pregnancy. Our goal is to connect them to suitable agencies in Austin as well as supply them with necessary mother and baby items.
Our second area of focus has been providing food relief. Many families are facing food shortages; some don't have kitchens to cook, and many have inadequate funds to feed their families. MCSS is stepping in to bridge the gap and ensure there is enough for everyone.
- Mobilized government and agency support for families with new and expectant mothers (WIC and Family Connects)
- Provided expectant mothers with post-partum kits, Pack and Plays, car seats, and strollers
- Connected families to NAMCC-ICNA Food bank to have groceries delivered/picked up
- Provided $8235 in food vouchers to Halal grocery stores Afghan Families in November and December
- Provided $5,000 in HEB gift cards to Afghan Families in November and December
- Provided $2500 in groceries directly to families
We have pledged to donate $10,000 to Appetite for Humanity to provide Welcome Meals, and the first week of groceries for each new Afghan family. We also have pledged $2,000 to Ladies Let's Talk to provide undergarments and socks for Afghan's in need of clothing.
We continue to work closely with NAMCC Social Services, NAMCC-ICNA Food Bank, Austin Jews and Partners for Refugees, Global Impact Initiative and Refugee Services of Texas. We thank our partners for their constant effort and collaborative spirit!
None of this is possible without your support. Your donations directly impact the lives of hundreds of resettled Afghans in Austin. Thank you!