Today, Wednesday, April 1, is National Census Day where Americans join together to raise awareness about the 2020 US Census. Comcast NBCUniversal and Telemundo are supporting the 2020 Census by encouraging Americans to participate in the first ever digital census and doing our part to ensure a full and fair count.
Below are a few of the ways Comcast is promoting participation in the 2020 Census.
• Comcast Public Service Announcements: Comcast produced and will air Census 2020 PSAs on Telemundoand NBC stations featuring Joy Reid, Host of AM Joy and Jose Diaz-Balart, Anchor of Noticiero Telemundo, with the goal of increasing general awareness of the census. You can watch these by clicking on our blog by clicking here.
• Hazte Contar! Campaign: A robust campaign across all of Telemundo’s broadcast, cable and digital platforms aimed at educating and empowering Latinos to participate in the 2020 Census. Visit www.HatzeContar.com to learn more.
• Newsmakers and Partner PSAs: In addition to our PSAs, Comcast has partnered with community organizations including NALEO and LULAC to create and air PSAs and short-form news segments to further explain the census and help individuals understand the significance of being counted, including PSAs translated into Spanish and several Asian languages. You can watch our Newsmakers segments by clicking here and scrolling down to “Featured Segments.”
• Community Impact Grants – We are also supporting local nonprofit partners who are working within cities to educate communities on the importance of completing the census and providing the training necessary to allow community members to complete the census forms online.
• Xfinity X1 Census Destination - Recognizing that communities across the country may have questions about the 2020 Census, Comcast will launch a Census 2020 Destination on our Xfinity X1 platform. X1 customers will simply say, “Census” into their voice remote to access the latest Census web clips, news segments, and more.
In these moments of uncertainty, our responsibility to communities nationwide is more important than ever. A number of Comcast’s responses to COVID-19 make it easier than ever for disenfranchised and low-income communities to get connected and participate in the 2020 Census via the Internet. These efforts include offering new, low-income Internet Essentials customers 60 days of free Internet and raising the speed of that program’s service to 25/3 Mbps; opening the Xfinity WiFi network nationally for free; offering unlimited data for free; and modifying our broadband billing policies for customers who cannot pay their bills during this period.